Paneer Butter Masala is a rich, creamy, tomato and paneer based gravy dish. It is one of the most famous paneer dishes along with palak paneer, malai kofta, paneer tikka masala and matar paneer. This is the most popular, demanding paneer receipe served in indian restaurants.
To make paste:
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 medium or 1 cup Onion chopped roughly
- Cashew nuts broken
- 2 small or 1 cup Tomato chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
For paneer butter masala recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Green cardamoms
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Bay leaf
- Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 cup Water
- 200 grams or 7 oz Paneer cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crushed
- 3-4 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
HOW TO MAKE PANEER BUTTER MASALA
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot chopped onions, sprinkle some salt to speed up the process. Cook till onions are light brown in color.
- Add cashew nuts and saute for 2 minutes or till it is roasted and browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder.
- Mix well and cook for a minute. Turn off the stove, let it cool down a bit and make smooth paste into blender or grinder.
- Now wipe out the pan using a paper napkin to clean it. In the same pan heat the butter and oil on medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Cook for a minute or till the raw smell goes away. Add prepared onion-tomato paste and add remaining salt.
- Cook till it becomes like a thick paste. Do stir to make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Kashmiri red chili powder for color and green cardamom powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add water to make a gravy consistency.
- Let it come to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add kasoori methi. Add paneer cubes and mix gently.
- Lastly, add cream.Stir and let it simmer for 2 minutes, so paneer gets heat up