Matar Paneer is one of the most popular paneer recipes where paneer and matar (green peas) are simmered together in a luscious gravy made with tomatoes, onions and spices so it is delicious combination of soft paneer and healthy green peas in a mild spicy tomato based gravy.
- 1 tablespoon oil, 15 ml, use oil of choice
- 2 whole green cardamom
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, 160 grams, roughly chopped
- Ginger, 13 grams, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, 14 grams, chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, roughly chopped, adjust to taste
- 3 medium tomatoes, 400 grams, roughly chopped
- 10 whole cashews
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- Garam masala, + more to sprinkle
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1.25 cups water
- 250 grams paneer
- 1/2-3/4 cup green peas, I used frozen soaked in warm water for 5 minutes
- cilantro, to garnish
Before you start with the recipe: If using store bought paneer, soak in warm water for 20 minutes before you begin the recipe. Also soak frozen green peas in warm water for 10 minutes before using in the recipe.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pot/pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add 2 green cardamoms, 4-5 peppercorns and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Saute until the spices are fragrant and the cumin seeds sizzle for few seconds.
Then add the onion, ginger, garlic and green chili. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions are light brown and soft.
Then add the chopped tomatoes and 10 whole cashews and mix. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes until the tomatoes are really soft.
Remove pan from heat and let the mixture cool down a bit. Once it has cooled down a little, transfer to a blender and grind to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
Heat a tablespoon of ghee (or oil) in a pan on medium heat. Add bay leaf and then add 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder. Saute for few seconds until you see a nice bright red color.
Then add in the prepared onion-tomato paste back into the pan and mix well.
Add 3/4 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste) and 1/2 teaspoon sugar (if using). Mix well and cook the spices for one minute.
Whisk in 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, stirring continuously until it mixes well.
Then add water to the pan and let it come to a boil.
Add the paneer cubes and green peas peas. Stir and then cover the pan. Let it simmer for 6 to 7 min.